Beacon Church and Christian Centre
The church is situated in London Road
The "Good Shepherd" window in the church is dedicated to those who
lost their lives in the wars. The words read:
Theirs is the supreme sacrifice -
Ours the sacred memory
In remembrance of those who lost their lives in the
Armed Forces from Buckland and this Church in World
War 1914-1918 and from this Church in World War
It was one of three
new windows and seven replacements of windows
destroyed by enemy action, unveiled in 1951 in the
presence of Cllr Fish, the Mayor.
so many buildings in Dover, the church itself is a war casualty.
The part that remains standing today is the back chapel. When it
was erected, the building was much larger, extending to the edge
of the London Road. the picture (left) is from 1901. In 1928 the
church was enlarged again.
Bombardment in the Second World War destroyed
much of frontage, and the remains had to be removed. The former
church area was then used as part of the highway, developed into
a convenient lay by for buses to stop safely. The white car in
the modern picture above is parked within the former bounds of
Opposite is the former Peter Street Chapel.
This was a Methodist chapel, built in 1860.
The Beacon was formerly the
London Road Primitive Methodist Church and is now also is
the combined home of
and the Tower Hamlets
pictures by Simon Chambers
archive pictures with thanks to the Rev Bruce Allinson