THE  DOVER WAR MEMORIAL  PROJECT

 

war memorial at dusk, photographed by Michelle Cooper


St Mary's Church Book of Remembrance

Memorial Home Latest News Casualty Index Information Index Search Forum
 

CONTENTS

Cinque Ports Pilots                                              

Dover Harbour Board, 1939-45     

Roll of Honour, H.M.S. “Alert”     

East Kent Road Car Co., Dover Depot

St Mary’s School Dover, 1939-45  

St Mary’s Churchyard cross    

St James Parish 1914-18          

Holy Trinity Hall memorial 1914-18     

Trawler & Mine Sweeper Patrol Dover

St Mary’s School, Dover, 1914-18 

Vicars of Dover 1912 onwards     

Churchwardens of St Mary the Virgin, Dover      

Special service to the Church                        

Memorial list from old St James’s Church Dover     

Memorials from new St James’s Church Dover   

Memorials from Holy Trinity Church, Dover         

Benefactors and Charities – St Mary’s Church     

Charities – St James, Dover              

More Recent Gifts (St Mary's, Dover) 

***

dedicating the book, courtesy Dover ExpressDedicated 9th September 1956 by Rev A Stanley Cooper BSc
This day was the nearest Sunday to the Patronal, the feast of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

The book contained the lists of war casualties from the former parishes of St James and Holy Trinity, which became united with St Mary's. St James was severely damaged during the Second World War, and Holy Trinity was later demolished.

The book was given in memory of Walter Bailey Cooper, from Nottingham, who died on 1st June 1953, aged 92, by his children. Amongst them was the incumbent, the Rev A. Stanley Cooper. The book was typewritten by his secretary, Miss Valerie Hannigan, with the intention that it should be a "living memorial", the pages turnable by anyone, and replaceable when worn out. . 

with thanks to the Kent Family History Society (KFHS) for permission to use the transcription made by members and published in
"The Parish Church of St Mary's, Dover; Interior Memorial Inscriptions Recorded between 1991 and May 2000

with thanks to Kathleen Hollingsbee

 


Copyright 2006 © Marilyn Stephenson-Knight. All Rights Reserved