spotted by volunteers as they visit the cemeteries
G Fowler was the younger brother of Henry Fowler, who published
in 1926 "A Dictionary of Modern English Usage". The book had
been researched in conjunction, but Francis died in 1918 from
tuberculosis contracted while on military service, having gone
to the Western Front on 22nd December 1915. A previous publication - 1906 - was "The
King's English", on which the brothers worked together.
Henry, enlisting at the age of 44 and serving as a Private in
the Royal Fusiliers, no 3433, survived the war, invalided out on
7th July 1916 by gout. The Dictionary was
dedicated by Henry to his younger brother.
The brothers had grown up in Tunbridge Wells. By 1891, their
mother, Caroline, was widowed, and living in Eastbourne with
Francis, then a student, and some of her other children. Francis
and Henry later settled in Guernsey; Henry at St Pierre Du Boix,
with his wife, Jessie Marion (nee Willis?), whom he married on
10th March 1908 at Guernsey.
It is believed that Francis Fowler was buried
in St James, plot MG 21. The CWGC entry reveals that the
deceased was a Private in the 5th battalion of the Royal
Fusiliers. He was the husband of Mrs V. Dent, formerly Fowler,
from 2 Park Cottages, Limpsfield, Surrey. His service number was
G/57354. The casualty in that plot died at the age of 40 at
Castlemount Military Hospital, and was buried there on 31st May.
the burial record has him as being in the 6th battalion.
"Soldiers Died" reveals that Private Fowler
enlisted in London and resided in Guernsey. He was formerly
Royal Fusiliers, spts/3492. His medal card bears the same two
service numbers, and the name of his widow, Mrs W J M M Dent,
from Pilgrim Lodge, Limpsfield.