war memorial at dusk, photographed by Michelle Cooper


The "We Remember" Booklet 2006



George William and Richard Stephen AndrewsRichard Andres, courtesy Mr PittsGeorge Andrews, courtesy Mr Pitts

Brothers in a large family, they were born in York Street to George and Agnes Andrews. They went to St Mary’s school and afterwards both worked in engineering, George for Dover Harbour Board and Richard for Dover Engineering Company. During World War I they served in the West Surrey Regiment. A Lance Corporal, George was reported missing and later as killed in action in Flanders on 26th October 1917. He was 21. Richard, the younger  returned to the Front after convalescing from wounds. A Private, he died from further wounds on 21st March 1918. His sweetheart Li called him “dearly loved”.

 Henry Piggott, Dover Express
Henry William Piggott

Born in Winchelsea, Sussex, he was the eldest son of the family. He lived in Dover and enlisted there into the 1st Battalion of the Buffs. He was a lance corporal, and had been serving for nine months in France before he was killed in action on 19th April 1916 the age of 23. His sweetheart Edith described herself as “broken-hearted”.

Walter James Sidney Ealden

Walter Ealden, courtesy Mrs Vera WrightHe was one of seven children, living at Percival Terrace with his parents William and Ethel Ealden. He attended St Martin’s school, and later worked for Clarks the Butchers and in the mines. During World War II he joined the Buffs and was transferred to the Reconnaissance Corps. He survived Dunkirk, but two weeks after his marriage to Madge Day he was sent to Sicily. He died at Anzio on 14th September 1943 after his tank was set on fire by a flame thrower. He was 25.  

On 20th April 1945 Walter’s cousin John Daniel Pulham, in the RAF Volunteer Reserve, also died. He was 19 and is buried in Dover at St James.


James Gibbens, courtesy Mr D Atkins

James Douglas Gibbens

He was born at Peter Street to William and Tryphena Gibbens. One of five children he went to Charlton school and later worked at Betteshanger colliery. During World War II he became a gunner in the Royal Artillery. He was killed by enemy air action in the Middle East on 1st July 1941, aged 23. 





Copyright 2006 © Marilyn Stephenson-Knight. All Rights Reserved